VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. — Many questions stay days after a automotive drove off the Virginia Seashore Fishing Pier on the Oceanfront and plunged into the water.
As of Wednesday morning, police say the automotive remains to be on the ocean flooring, just a few hundred toes from the Oceanfront boardwalk. Restoration efforts are nonetheless being coordinated, although have been troublesome amid harmful water situations, police say.
Now, police say a lacking male could also be linked to the incident.
Here is a timeline of what we have discovered to this point:
Saturday, Jan. 27: Automotive drives off pier into the water earlier than daybreak
- Reviews a few automotive that drove off the pier on the Oceanfront on 14th St. began to return in simply earlier than 7 a.m., police mentioned.
- When Virginia Seashore police and fireplace personnel arrived on the pier minutes later, they mentioned they discovered a automotive within the water.
- A video shared with Information 3 reveals the automotive drive towards the top of the pier, briefly pause, after which go off the top.
Uncooked video reveals automotive driving off VB fishing pier
- Harmful water situations, together with poor visibility, prevented divers from retrieving the automotive that day, police mentioned. As an alternative, police mentioned sonar was used to pinpoint the automotive’s location – later decided to be on the ocean flooring.
Sunday, Jan. 28: Automotive restoration tried
- Round 1 p.m., skilled salvage divers from Crofton Industries and a salvage barge have been used to attempt to recuperate the automotive, police mentioned. Harmful water situations raised diver security considerations and points with maintaining the salvage barge secure.
“Presently, the precise quantity or identification of occupants stays unknown. The purpose of this mission is to soundly retrieve the automobile, reunite all occupants with their family members, and keep the integrity of all proof.”
Monday, Jan. 29: Police share replace and underwater video
- VBPD Sgt. Brian Ricardo offered an replace on restoration effort logistics throughout a press convention.
“The automotive is unstable,” defined Sgt. Ricardo. “The concern for us isn’t that it’s going to drift however that one of many divers will get entangled within the automotive.”
- At 5:30 p.m., VBPD launched a video taken with the Chesapeake Fireplace Division’s ROV (remotely operated automobile). Police have been capable of verify from the video that the automotive was upside-down, rocking with the present.
Video of automotive in ocean by VB pier
Tuesday, Jan. 30: Lacking male might probably be tied to the incident
- Simply earlier than 10 a.m., police shared that they’re working to study if a lacking male is someway linked to the automotive that drove off the Fishing Pier. In line with police, a household contacted them a few lacking male family member. The lacking individual case has many similarities to the circumstances surrounding the automotive that was pushed into the water, police famous.
- Police didn’t share the particular correlations between the 2 circumstances. They offered the next assertion:
“Although we’ve indicators these circumstances are associated, presently, we’re unable to substantiate this lacking individual is related to the automotive that also must be recovered. The ROV HAS NOT been capable of discern if the submerged automobile has a license plate connected.
As soon as the automobile is recovered, we are going to want the native workplace of the Medical Examiner to substantiate identification of any occupant(s). The continued restoration efforts stay centered on reuniting any occupant(s) with their family members and sustaining the integrity of the investigation.”
Wednesday, Jan. 31: Automotive stays in water
- Simply earlier than 1 p.m., police mentioned climate situations prevented one other restoration try. There was a Nationwide Climate Service Small Craft Advisory in impact, police mentioned.
- Police beforehand indicated that the following restoration try might be on Thursday, Feb. 1.
This timeline will probably be up to date as we study extra.
For those who or somebody you understand is suicidal or in emotional misery, we encourage you to make use of the next assets.
The 988 Suicide and Disaster Lifeline
You’ll be able to name or textual content 988 in the event you’re in a suicidal disaster or emotional misery. It’s a nationwide community of native disaster facilities that present free and confidential help. They’re accessible to assist 24 hours a day, seven days every week. You’ll be able to study extra at 988lifeline.org.
Findtreatment.gov is a confidential and nameless useful resource for finding therapy services for psychological and substance use problems in the USA and its territories. Go to https://findtreatment.gov/locator to find therapy choices close to you.
Nationwide Alliance on Psychological Sickness Helpline
The NAMI HelpLine is a free, nationwide peer-supported service offering data, useful resource referrals and help to folks residing with a psychological well being situation. You’ll be able to textual content “HelpLine” to 62640 or name 800-950-6264. Study extra about extra assets at www.nami.org/assist.
Open Path Psychotherapy Collective
The Open Path Psychotherapy Collective is a nationwide community of psychological well being professionals who supply digital and in-office classes at a steeply decreased price to individuals who qualify. You’ll be able to study extra at www.openpathcollective.org.
Automotive driving off Virginia Seashore pier sparks dialog about psychological well being
4:52 PM, Jan 29, 2024